Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default which .45 cal?

What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for, unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever! .45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels" right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 23:21:29 -0400, "Tom Gardner" at@at wrote:

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for, unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever! .45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels" right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Ive several "1911s" that hold 15 rounds

ParaOrd P14s

14 in the mag, one up the spout.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg59-e.htm

Mine are early "gunsmith only" "kits" that I stuck various 1911 slides
on and then tuned and tweaked. My favorite has an AMT Hardballer
Stainless slide and slide frame fit was done with a can of valve
grinding compound over a week in front of the tv.

Its smooth...and reliable. Its my "home" gun. Well..one of them

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardner at@at wrote:

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for, unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever! .45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels" right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Do you know that a typical 9mm bullet has 90% of the energy of a .45
ACP bullet?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardnerat@at wrote:

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for, unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever! .45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels" right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Do you know that a typical 9mm bullet has 90% of the energy of a .45
ACP bullet?

It's also much easier to shoot accurately, faster, and almost all 9mms
hold a lot of rounds these days. The Springfield XDs are real nice. You
can't go wrong with one of them. The design is a lot more modern too and
they are nearly indestructible. If you're set on a 1911 pattern gun
Springfield is about as good as they come too.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 23:06:47 -0500, Ignoramus30154

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardner at@at wrote:

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for, unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever! .45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels" right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Do you know that a typical 9mm bullet has 90% of the energy of a .45
ACP bullet?

But only Half the stopping power. Or slightly less.

Energy ratings are not the entire composition of a good bullet/cartridge
design for use on human beings.

Which is why few police departments carry the 9 anymore.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for, unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever! .45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels" right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Reply:
Was just at the store and the guy said he likes the Rock Island. About $600
new depending on the model.
http://www.google.com/search?q=rock+...rlz=1I7ADRA_en

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl,
I'm hoping this doesn't drift into a 9mm vs. 45 debate. It would be off topic. I own both and they both have their strong points.
Personally, I prefer the 45 for a multitude of reasons. However, the best are hand tuned customs, but they are expensive. In my
opinion, none of the out-of-box 45's are acceptable to me. So, I would be looking for a core gun to customize and in that light, a
colt model 70 or earlier is the best, but I am a pretty good gunsmith and I have the tools to build a custom. Even doing all the
work yourself, it will be hard to be under $2,000 all in. Below are some considerations.

1) Standard chamber pressures with the standard barrel 12K CUP.
2) Safe pressures with a custom barrel 30K+ CUP.
3) Typical muzzle velocity increase between a 5" and 6" barrel, without a change in pressure 50 FPS
4) Two inch grouping at 50 meters is easily achievable.
5) Best bullet Hensley & Gibbs # 68 200 gr, SWC in Linotype.
6) My favorite load with the above bullet, custom barrel is 11.5 gr of Blue Dot.

Steve

wrote in message ...
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 3:15*pm, " wrote:
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

Thanks for the suggestion and info. It will be a while before he can
get one but I suspect he'll end up with .45 and 9mm.
Speaking of different calibers what do you guys like in a .22?
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

I'm right partial to the Taurus Judge series. The long Colt round has a
lot of wallop.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Do you know that a typical 9mm bullet has 90% of the energy of a .45
ACP bullet?

But only Half the stopping power. Or slightly less.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts 20% different
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/calloadgoshin.htm 4-12% different
That said, in a fight, my druthers: a 1911 over my Keltec P-11.

Energy ratings are not the entire composition of a good bullet/cartridge
design for use on human beings.

Which is why few police departments carry the 9 anymore.

What does it matter, the way cops (can't) aim?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

For what? A Kimber is about as good as it gets, but a Norinco is reliable
to just have around in case you need one and it costs less. If I was doing
competition I'ld probably get a Colt Gold Cup and then have a little work
done. Start with matching a barrel and block and some trigger polishing
then go from there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardner at@at wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

And, my 9 stings like a hornet! After 50 rds of factory-type loads, my hand
is numb. I can shoot my 1911 all day long. For me any load that puts a
mark on the paper has enough energy. Although I've seen 50BMG pistols!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Stopping power is why I prefer the .308 and it holds more bullets than
either the 45 or the 9MM.

There, that should start a ****ing match.

Karl

And, your cost/bad-guy? crickets

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 18:15:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

If by "Colt .45" you mean a 1911 design, Springfield is a good bet.
They offer several models from the basic "government" model up thru
match-grade models. Their rep for standing behind their products is
excellent. A dealer I know favors Springfield and Para, though he
carries several other brands as well. I own a Springfield 1911 and
I'm very satisfied with it. I also have a Colt. The Springfield is
definitely the better gun. The only handgun I shoot more accurately
than the Springfield 1911 is a S&W 626 revolver in .357 magnum with 6"
barrel.

Kimber & Taurus have offerings, but you're SOL if you have a problem.
If you really want a Kimber or Taurus, he'll sell it to you but
reluctantly.

Para makes excellent handguns and their customer support is exemplary,
but they're a bit pricey. I own a Para LDA 9mmp and am very pleased
with it.

There are several "cheap" 1911's on the market, none of which I'd care
to own. They're poorly-made, not accurate and of questionable
reliability.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Do you know that a typical 9mm bullet has 90% of the energy of a .45
ACP bullet?

But only Half the stopping power. Or slightly less.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts 20% different
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/calloadgoshin.htm 4-12% different
That said, in a fight, my druthers: a 1911 over my Keltec P-11.

Energy ratings are not the entire composition of a good bullet/cartridge
design for use on human beings.

Which is why few police departments carry the 9 anymore.

What does it matter, the way cops (can't) aim?

Some cops cant, its true. But lots of cops can aim well enough to hit
their opponents.

http://social.jrank.org/pages/1333/L...Shootings.html

On the other hand...they occasionally shoot when they shouldnt...

http://dogblog.dogster.com/2010/10/0...-own-backyard/

(Note its Oakland, California...so trigger happy cops are expected)

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:50:10 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

For what? A Kimber is about as good as it gets, but a Norinco is reliable
to just have around in case you need one and it costs less. If I was doing
competition I'ld probably get a Colt Gold Cup and then have a little work
done. Start with matching a barrel and block and some trigger polishing
then go from there.

A Gold Cup has had all that stuff done to it already.
Unfortunatley..they have been tuned to shoot light, low pressure target
ammo and shooting normal ammo can harm them..beat them up badly.
If you get a Gold Cup..replace all the springs with Wolf combat springs,
first off.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Stopping power is why I prefer the .308 and it holds more bullets than
either the 45 or the 9MM.

There, that should start a ****ing match.

You conceal carry that in leather or kydex?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Califbill" wrote:

45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload

What? I'd like to find 2 cent primers again and 6 grains of most powders put you at
another 2 cents. Not to mention the cost of lead if you cast.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote:

I like my Ruger P90 . DA/SA , decock , ambi safety , and I have small hands
. I've always been partial to Rugers , as they tend to fit my small hands
better than most .

That isn't a little gun. It is my bedside firearm. A point and click solution if someone
intrudes uninvited. I never cared for the DA/SA transition and bought a S&W M&P 40
compact for carry. After adding the Apex sear and striker block parts, it is a fine
firearm.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardner at@at wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

My 9mm is super nice and I can shoot it all day long. The longest I
did was 1.5 hours or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardner at@at wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Did the guy ever go down?

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardnerat@at wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I love my XD-9, but now that the XD now comes in 45 ACP, you can have the
best of both worlds. No brainer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:15:50 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Stopping power is why I prefer the .308 and it holds more bullets than
either the 45 or the 9MM.

There, that should start a ****ing match.

You conceal carry that in leather or kydex?

Neither. It's a GAT. Speaking of which, how's your little .22 gat
coming?

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

I like my Ruger P90 . DA/SA , decock , ambi safety , and I have
small hands . I've always been partial to Rugers , as they tend to
fit my small hands better than most .

That isn't a little gun. It is my bedside firearm. A point and
click solution if someone intrudes uninvited. I never cared for the
DA/SA transition and bought a S&W M&P 40 compact for carry. After
adding the Apex sear and striker block parts, it is a fine firearm.

Wes

Mine resides next to the bed too ... my daily carry is a Davis Ind.
two-hole derringer in .38 spl . I keep it in the pocket where most men carry
their wallet - surprise !!
As far as the DA/SA , I like the fact that I can carry with one in the
chamber and the safety off , and don't have to worry about cocking for that
first round . I've never felt comfortable carrying one "cocked and locked" .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I make metal targets for handgun and rifle.

You know - slam metal into metal.

Kinda neat seeing a round dot of lead powder where a bullet vaporized.

Martin

On 11/5/2010 11:17 AM, John Doe wrote:
"kfvorwerk gmail.com"kfvorwerk gmail.com wrote:

What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would
you recommend?

And what the **** does this have to do with metalworking?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Califbill" wrote:

45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload

What? I'd like to find 2 cent primers again and 6 grains of most powders
put you at
another 2 cents. Not to mention the cost of lead if you cast.

Wes

Wideners had Wolf primers on sale a while back at $19/k in 5k lots...I
bought 20k and picked up 16 lbs of IMR 700-x for $50 from a gunshop going
out of business. My load for .45 is 3.5gr. 6gr would damage my 1911. Even
at full price of $110/8lb that's 56,000 grains or 16,000 rounds or $0.006875
worth of powder per round. With free lead, electricity and labor, my actual
cost per round is $0.025875 ...which is less than 3 cents each. Did you
think I was pulling your leg?

And, Wolf primers are just fine! Not a single problem even in my light
hitting revolvers.

Wideners has them at $19/k NOW!
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737

IMR 700-X 8 pound caddy at $107 but they are out of stock GREAT POWDER!
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8453&dir=278|283|310

I shoot about 1k/month so my equipment has paid for itself many times
compared to factory.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Some can still hit a target after being stabbed several times:

http://www.wftv.com/news/25645292/detail.html

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sometimes that is true but not always. I have a friend that has a
Charles Daly 1911 he bought new for 350.00 and it had all the bells and
whistles that the "good" guns have. While I will admit that cosmetically
it's not so great as far as accuracy and reliability are concerned it's
as good as most 1800 dollar 1911s I've seen. That Daly shoots great and
it never seems to jam no matter what it's fed. By the way, it's made in
the Philippines. So don't think that you have to spend a lot of money to
get a good 1911. They're out there. I have another friend that bought a
used Kimber Classic for about 500. and it's a really nice gun.
Personally, if I was looking for a 1911 I'd be looking for a nice
condition used gun. So many people buy guns and then let them sit in
their safe that a brand name 1911 that you can buy used is just as good
as a new one. Because most people buy the things but they rarely use them.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

You conceal carry that in leather or kydex?

Neither. It's a GAT. Speaking of which, how's your little .22 gat
coming?

It is right where it was when the snow melted this spring. I suspect in a couple weeks
when I'm snow bound again, I'll turn on the heat in my machine room and resume working on
it.

Wes