Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default File coarseness

A commonly used, although not precisely accurate term for shaping files like
Doug describes with widely-spaced teeth, is Vixen file.
The teeth are spaced more similarly to gear rack, than to most common
metalworking files.

Vixen files were very popular in past decades/generations when all autobody
damage work was finished with a torch instead of a plastic spatula/spreader.
Vixen files rapidly peel away soft materials such as autobody lead for very
fast leveling of a surface.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/catalog/shaping.html

The ones that I have don't have a blank tang for a handle, but instead have
a countersunk hole near each end to mount them to full-length (typically
wooden) holder which is sorta like holding a long, narrow wood plane.
Some Vixen holders are metal/aluminum, and may have a turnbuckle in the
center for slight ajustments of straight to small arc.

Vixen files used to be available in various lengths and shapes, but the most
common shapes were flat and rounded.

Some other specialty files that are extremely handy, are the pull-cut types
used with die filing machines.
I stumbled upon some new 8" Oliver files at a flea market years ago, and
continue to use them almost daily.
They are available (when you can find 'em) in various shapes, and easily
recognized by the straight/parallel sides. On square or rectangular shapes,
one edge may be a safe edge (smooth so it won't cut), which is also very
handy whether using them by hand or machine use.

Files that cut on the pull stroke can remove material very effectively (even
single-handedly held) after a little practice.
They're very fast for openings in panels and various other situations where
filing with a single hand is more convenient.
The pull stroke is efficient at material removal, similar to using a coping
saw cutting on the pull stroke instead of pushing it.

There are some presently-made brands that include parallel-sided files that
can be adapted for die filer machine use by annealing the tip end (or
brazing a scrap to the end) to mount in the filing machine, and breaking off
the handle tang.

I'm still fond of filing after many years. A couple of used files were my
first metalworking cutting tools that I had in my youth.

--
WB

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
jay wrote in news:01010bd1-1baf-4ce9-b2d3-
:

If you only need a few, check out Grainger's or other online
distributors. I have a local Grainger's store, and they special

ordered
what I needed from their warehouse.

OK that's what I am anticipating doing. but which ones to buy?
I want to to be able to produce a variety of finishes on hard steel,
aluminum, & other soft materials, w/ a minimum of work & a reasonably
minimum amount of files (read $).
What would some of the regular contributors here, people who
work regularly in shops, buy to meet my needs?
Please share any specific advice, JD

Rule #1: Get good ones. Nicholson & Simonds are pretty good, Grobet is
better. Grobet also makes really nice handles that screw on & don't come
off (or loose).

I use 3 files more than any others by an order of magnitude:

#1 A fine 4" pointed half round file for knocking burrs off of stuff.
The sharp point is good for getting into small spots & holes:

Precision Half-Round Hand File 4" Long, 15/32" W X 9/64" Thickness, Swiss
pattern, Cut No. 2 (McMaster Carr #4248A23)

#2 Simonds 8" half round Multi-Kut. This is my favorite general purpose
file. It cuts reasonably fast, leaves a good finish, & doesn't clog too
quickly.

#3 Nicholson "Superior Standard" 10" half round soft metal file
(sometimes called a "lead float" or Babbitt file). This has widely
spaced arched teeth that leave a fairly smooth finish on soft materials
without clogging. Good for removing large amounts of material in brass,
aluminum & plastic. The trick is that Nicholson doesn't seem to sell the
large half-round ones any more (they have an 8"), and everyone has a
different name for them. They are used a lot for body work, planing down
body putty & filler. Note: some "babbitt" files have a more conventional
cut to the teeth. Simonds sells the right shape teeth on theirs, but
they only have flat.

It's also good to have a set of Swiss needle files in a fine & medium
cut. Good sets are spendy, but will long out last the cheap ones. The
price difference can be close to an order of magnitude. McMaster carries
$140 sets & $20 sets. I'd look for something in between, or try to catch
a good sale. Also a medium cut 1/4" round "rat tail" file, and a similar
sized triangular file.

Doug White