Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How Long Would You Leave It In The Freezer

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:22:01 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Hey Pete, You suggested freezing an arbor and then fitting to get a
good
engagement. I'm not having any issue with the taper to drill press
after
degreasing, but the taper to chuck is still an issue. I thought I might
try
freezing the arbor and fitting it to the chuck. That's gotta be a
better
alternative than green loctite sleeve locker. So, how long would you
leave
the arbor in the freezer to get the metal down to the lowest core temp
possible? Freezer is set at 0F and ambient is in the high 70s right
now.

Overnight should do it, unless you are in some sort of hurry. If you can
find some dry ice, apply that for a bit (10-15 minutes, with a
pre-chilled arbor) before mating...and warm the chuck as well.

None of which will do much if there's a defect (dent, dirt, burr,
scratch) in the tapers that's making them not grab properly as is.

Yep, inspect and clean the tapers carefully.

Overnight in the freezer, half hour with dry ice, few minutes with
liquid nitrogen

They are clean. ** after degreasing, ** I have inspected them. They are
right on the edge of fitting up, but I just do not want to hit it that hard
to seat them up. With a rubber mallet it works fine, but sometimes loosens
up on a hard bump in certain types of work. No issues when mating with the
press. This is a brand new taper and a brand new chuck, and they have been
cleaned, and gently polished with .000 wool, and tissue detects no snags.

Good test! 2/$1 pantyhose at the Dollar store are good for detecting
snags, too. (No, I bought them for making veggie sprouts, Tawm.)

It just needs a good smack or something less likely to damage something like
a cold fit. I realize its just a drill press, but if I get it perfectly
straight and tightly fitted now I just won't have to worry about it any
more. Its limitations will be the mediocre quality of the drill press ever
after.

Do pop the head off and support the quill, then pop that puppy down
with the proper application of a tubafore. Won't take but a few
minutes.

Seems to me that I saw taper reamer/checkers in the MSC, Enco, and
McMaster cats if you need a true sizer.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim