Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default File coarseness

On Nov 4, 11:37*am, jay wrote:
On Nov 4, 6:16*am, " wrote:

On Nov 4, 1:58*am, jay wrote:

Also I don't remember having ever used a file that the handle would
stay on. I probably have but just don't remember it. The files I buy
will probably not have handles. Who makes an after market handle
that stays on. Maybe I should buy the cheapest wooden ones &
epoxy them in place. I assume that would work. No?

Thanks for any info, JD

I use golf balls for file handles. *Just drill a hole that the small
end of the tang will fit into. *They stay in place.

I would recommend getting a type A aluminum file if you do much with
aluminum. *They remove aluminum quickly but leave a pretty smooth
surface.

Type A file. I do file some aluminum. That's a good idea.
Golf balls. Hmm. Do U use more than 1 ball if the tang is long enough?
Thanks, JD

The idea of using golf balls came from someone here in RCM. I just
use one ball. I have a bunch of big files, but don't think any of
them has a tang long enough for more than one golf ball.

Dan