Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default Pronunciation Puzzle

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:50:19 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 23:56:39 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

Skew it: "never-Da".
Worse one: Uranus - either pronunciation sounds so..

Imagine changing the name of a whole freakin' planet because of the fear
that a few pubescent boys will giggle.

---
It's much more than that, it's that our ancestors were confused as to
what was right and what was wrong, having broken away from both
England and Rome and, being in a denialist state, created the [anti]
pleasure police in order to atone for their feelings of guilt for
having broken away from what was the home they could never return to.

They then gave them the power to tell us what was right and what was
wrong, and here we are.

---
JF