Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Pronunciation Puzzle

Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

...Jim Thompson

Wiktionary says Nevada comes from Spanish, "snow-covered," so I guess you're
right.
But there are places a-plenty that we Amurrikins don't pronounce correctly.
For example, Ausable Chasm in New York.
People pronounce it "ossa-bull" but it comes from the French Au Sable, which
means sandy and is pronounced Oh-Sobbla (sort of).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:38:42 -0400, Michael Robinson wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in

Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

Wiktionary says Nevada comes from Spanish, "snow-covered," so I guess you're
right.
But there are places a-plenty that we Amurrikins don't pronounce correctly.
For example, Ausable Chasm in New York.
People pronounce it "ossa-bull" but it comes from the French Au Sable, which
means sandy and is pronounced Oh-Sobbla (sort of).

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Nevada ;-)

BTW,
If you're ever in the area of Pascagoula, MS, and ask for directions to
"pass-CAG-yu-la" you stand a good chance of getting beat up. ;-)

(It's pass-kuh-GOO-la.)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

...Jim Thompson

Skew it: "never-Da".
Worse one: Uranus - either pronunciation sounds so..
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Michael Robinson wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

...Jim Thompson

Wiktionary says Nevada comes from Spanish, "snow-covered," so I guess you're
right.
But there are places a-plenty that we Amurrikins don't pronounce correctly.
For example, Ausable Chasm in New York.
People pronounce it "ossa-bull" but it comes from the French Au Sable, which
means sandy and is pronounced Oh-Sobbla (sort of).

....how about "our sable"?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

...Jim Thompson

Wiktionary says Nevada comes from Spanish, "snow-covered," so I guess you're
right.
But there are places a-plenty that we Amurrikins don't pronounce correctly.
For example, Ausable Chasm in New York.
People pronounce it "ossa-bull" but it comes from the French Au Sable, which
means sandy and is pronounced Oh-Sobbla (sort of).

My mother said one of the funniest things she ever heard was a
northeastern news broadcaster trying to pronounce Nacogdoches.

---
That's right up there with Mexia.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

...Jim Thompson

Wiktionary says Nevada comes from Spanish, "snow-covered," so I guess you're
right.
But there are places a-plenty that we Amurrikins don't pronounce correctly.
For example, Ausable Chasm in New York.
People pronounce it "ossa-bull" but it comes from the French Au Sable, which
means sandy and is pronounced Oh-Sobbla (sort of).

My mother said one of the funniest things she ever heard was a
northeastern news broadcaster trying to pronounce Nacogdoches.

Can any of you pronounce "Canyon de Chelly", a prominent location in
Arizona?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I can see Election Results and Dismembered Democrats :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 23:56:39 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

Skew it: "never-Da".
Worse one: Uranus - either pronunciation sounds so..

Imagine changing the name of a whole freakin' planet because of the fear
that a few pubescent boys will giggle.

And, as you note, "Urine-Us" isn't that much better.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:23:50 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You should hear the touristas mangle 'Kissimmee'.

Yabbut, at least that one's fun to misprouounce! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You mean the Navajo pronunciation, the Spanish 'translation', or good
ole American?

The problem with pronunciations is "The King's English" itself is a
mongrel language that's compounded 10 fold in American English by
influences from a multitude of Native American tribes and "melting
pot" immigration distorting both sound and spelling.

Take a Navajo word translated by the Spanish who, for some unknown
reason, decided to spell it 'frenchy', and you're bound to have some
confusion since not a single one of those origins conforms to English
which, as mentioned, is already riddled with 'exceptions to the
rules'.

You should hear the touristas mangle 'Kissimmee'.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.c,ad

wrote:

[...]

How 'bout "Coeur d'Alene"

Thanks pure French, so no problem.

Canyon de Chelly == "Canyon duh Shay"

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I can see Election Results and Dismembered Democrats :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

Skew it: "never-Da".
Worse one: Uranus - either pronunciation sounds so..

Imagine changing the name of a whole freakin' planet because of the fear
that a few pubescent boys will giggle.

And, as you note, "Urine-Us" isn't that much better.

Cheers!
Rich

That is what i said..
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

How 'bout "Coeur d'Alene"

Thanks pure French, so no problem.

I've heard "Curdylene".

I've heard "Boise" pronounced the French way :-)

Well, it is Idaho ;-)

My father declared one time (in Idaho, ~1956), "I knew God made a lot
of stupid people, but I didn't know he put them all in one place" ;-)

(They were paving a two-lane road, both lanes at the same time, so
highway was shut down completely for many hours.)

Canyon de Chelly == "Canyon duh Shay"

Hauppauge, and Poughkeepsie cause problems for some.

One of my favorites is "Hamtramck".

Another fun one is listening to "newscasters" trying to pronounce
"Blagojevich".

I'm somewhat into languages and pronunciations, so I bug my wife by
proclaiming, "It's pronounced just like it's spelled" :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I can see Election Results and Dismembered Democrats :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 09:45:41 -0700, Fred Abse wrote:
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 14:47:41 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:26:11 -0700, Fred Abse

How 'bout "Coeur d'Alene"

Thanks pure French, so no problem.

I've heard "Curdylene".

I've heard "Boise" pronounced the French way :-)

Well, it is Idaho ;-)

Canyon de Chelly == "Canyon duh Shay"

Hauppauge, and Poughkeepsie cause problems for some.

Heck, some non-Minnesotans can't even get "Edina" right. It's ee-DYNE-ah. ;-)
(or ee-DYE-nah)

Chaska and Chanhassen are easy, but try Shakopee (SHOCK-uh-pee) or Wayzata
(wye-ZETT-uh).

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:04:02 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Another fun one is listening to "newscasters" trying to pronounce
"Blagojevich".

I'm somewhat into languages and pronunciations, so I bug my wife by
proclaiming, "It's pronounced just like it's spelled" :-)

So's "Wojciehowicz". ;-) (see "Barney Miller".)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
Pronunciation Puzzle...

Nevada
^----- where are people getting that what I'd call "harsh-A" sound?

"Nevada" would certainly, I'd think, have Spanish naming origin,
wouldn't you think?

Skew it: "never-Da".
Worse one: Uranus - either pronunciation sounds so..

Imagine changing the name of a whole freakin' planet because of the fear
that a few pubescent boys will giggle.

---
It's much more than that, it's that our ancestors were confused as to
what was right and what was wrong, having broken away from both
England and Rome and, being in a denialist state, created the [anti]
pleasure police in order to atone for their feelings of guilt for
having broken away from what was the home they could never return to.

They then gave them the power to tell us what was right and what was
wrong, and here we are.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Wow. Lord only knows how you came up with that fantasy.

You mean we're _not_ here? :-)

Ed

---
JF

Two Cap Puzzle JosephKK[_3_] Electronic Schematics 4 July 24th 10 04:31 AM
Two Cap Puzzle JosephKK[_3_] Electronic Schematics 3 July 24th 10 03:42 AM
OT - Map Puzzle Cliff Metalworking 3 March 25th 05 08:16 AM
Puzzle Robatoy Woodworking 4 January 13th 05 02:20 PM