Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of Pool Heaters

On Nov 2, 11:27*am, "JimT" wrote:
"Ivan" wrote in message

On Nov 2, 12:29 am, "JimT" wrote:

"DD_BobK" wrote in message

On Nov 1, 2:04 pm, "JimT" wrote:

This is the first year I've been able to use my pool heater in the fall
because I got a heater earlier this year (266k BTU Rakpak Nat Gas)
capable
of heating the pool in a reasonable amount of time. I plan to use it
into
December if the weather holds out.

The pool is an outdoor, in-ground, 10.5k gal pool. I'm in Central Tx.

I've been kicking the heater on about 5pm to go swimming about 8-9pm. I
keep
it anywhere between 83 - 87F.

Is it best to leave the heater on all the time or shut it down until I
want
to go swimming like I have been?

Jim

It's always best to turn the heater off...... as long as you turn it
on soon enough to get it up to desired swimming temp.

cheers
Bob

====

Thanks. That does make sense. What would be nice is if the heater had a
self
timer to activate the cycle for me.

In the winter months I plan to run the pump at night and keep the heater
about 35 (F) in case of a freeze.

Jim

There are timers with separately settable switches for the pump and
heater. One is made by a Tork (Torx?) and I'm sure there are others.

===

I have timers but the heater has a control panel that has to be manually
shut off prior to the pool shut down or it will fry the control panel. It's
a dumb design but I got the heater real cheap.

Anyway, without changing the heater's control panel, it can't be done.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I don't see how a pool heater with any reasonable and safe design
could have a control panel that gets ruined if the pool heater is not
shut down via its own control panel prior to the pool pump being shut
off. What happens if the breaker trips or power goes out in while the
heater is on? Even if it has that limitation, are you saying you
can't get a seperate timer for the pool heater and have it energized
after the pump timer goes on and before it shuts off?

Definitely best to only fire it up long enough to heat it up before
using it. You have a relatively large heater for a 10,000 galloon
pool. The one here is 400K BTU for 48,000 gallons. The heater may be
cheap, but I'd keep an eye on the gas meter. Even with that size
pool, I think you'll be surprised how much heat in can use. Compare
that 265K BTU to a typical home furnace and it's 3X the capacity.
Using the cover will cut the heat loss substantially.