Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gage block set question...

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-10-31, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:

[ ... ]

If they don't ban you by blocking your IP address.

There is some thing to be said for dynamic IPs that a lot of
ISPs force down your throat. :-)

Wait till they roll out IP V6 and they won't need dynamic addresses.
There will be enough that they could assign everyone on earth one for
life.

They can -- but I'll bet that the ISPs will want to keep handing
out variable IPs via DHCP -- and charge extra for static ones.

BTW, my dynamic IP address has only changed a couple times in over
five years.

You either have very stable power, or a good UPS then. Most
people who I know with dynamic IPs wind up with it changing every time
they reboot -- the router/modem at least. :-)

No UPS. Apparently the address changes when they reallocate spare
addresses in the region. Each time it has changed, I get a little more
bandwidth, too. At first I was getting just under 5 Mb/s and it is now
a little over 10 Mb/s.

So -- if someone has been blocked by IP, and has the typical
setup, all they need to do is to power cycle the router/modem/whatever
-- just what the trouble line droids tell you to do first.

That doesn't work here. I've had the power out for a week, and it
comes back with the same address. RR sets the IP address to the MAC
address of their modem, from what they've told me. Even exchanging the
modem for a new one doesn't change the IP address. The scan the label
into their system to replace the old unit. Take it home and hook it up,
to the same IP address.

I check it, because some web hosting services let you lock your FTP
login to your IP address.

http://www.ipchicken.com or http://www.dnsstuff.com will tell you
your IP address.

enough left over to pay them.