Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default How often to change oil in compressor?

On Nov 1, 8:33*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
- Also the manual says use "30 weight non-detergent oil". Can I use the
*oil so labeled at an auto parts store or do I still need to buy "special"
*compressor oil of that weight?

Yes. *Synthetic is even better and still less expensive than the stuff they
will sell you.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

I personally witnessed:
Run the engine up to temperature on a wheel-driven dyno take a sample
and print.
Without delay, change to synthetic.
Run the engine up to temperature on same dyno, half hour later, sample
and print.
It was a 1996 Safari van, with a 4.3l with 240,000+ miles of Michigan
driving on it.
No idea who owned it, I was next door buying some parts and I was, as
usual, poking my nose around the corner to see what these crazies were
up to that day. (WHO can stay away from a speed shop?)
133 HP to 137 HP.
I doubt it would show up on the quarter mile time, but hey, I was
surprised.

No regular oil for these guys:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ubaru_jump.jpg

But I digress.

Over the years, I always changed the oil on any of my compressors
every 6 months. Why not? It's not that those crank-cases hold gallons
of the stuff...and yes, synthetic for the last 10+ years.