Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How often to change oil in compressor?

Angello Huong wrote:
You can indeed use the motor oil in the auto parts stores. I would
use something like Mobil 1 myself, but regual motor oil is really
good enough.

My compressor is very lightly used, so I have yet to change the oil
on it in the last 3 years. I figured as soon as it started showing a
little bit of dirt or cloudiness, then it's time for a change.
However, on my next change, I wanted to use something that is the
really good stuff.

Anyone here knows whether using synthetic oil would be better or
worse than the normal oil on an air compressor?

My compressor is a commercial compressor from CH and it specifically
recommends Mobil 1. For the occassional use that most smaller compressor
see, I don't believe you hit the point of worrying about which oil is really
better - they just don't get used hard enough to make it matter. If you
think about how long dead dinosaurs will perform in your car (been validated
to still be effective at 10,000 miles), then it's safe to assume your
compressor would be equally safe with dino oil. Your car certainly suffers
harsher conditions than your compressor does.

--

-Mike-