Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default What size string for a string trimmer?

"mm" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:03:54 -0400, mm
wrote:

What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

BTW, I've googled them both already with no success, but the ones I
have are a black and decker st6000, and a Sears 358.798020 . They are
both electric, running off cords (the B&D seems to make one with the
same model # that runs on batteries!) Although SearsPartsDirect is
closed all night due to scheduled maintenance until 7:00ET, but I
doubt it will give more than the same part list that other sites copy
from its data, like with the Kenmore refrigerator.

They don't make it easy because they want you to buy a replacement spool.

I suspect the suggestion by bok is about right (.060, .065). If it feeds it
is fine is also good advice.

Of course if you can find a tiny fragment in your yard a quick trip to the
BORG will allow you to match the existing and new sizes.

Colbyt