Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_52_] Steve[_52_] is offline

Default Rare earth magnetic knife holders

On 2010-10-29 03:54:45 -0400, "
said:

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some
metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause
rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them
or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a
good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

Maybe drill the hole from the backside, so the expoxied magnet is
behind the surface the knife touches? Or drill the hole from the front
and veneer over the entire piece. Might want to use some of those
famous "sketchy" knives while testing for depth and thickness vs.
magnet strength.

And after you're finished, get rid of the junk knives -- those things
are MORE dangerous than good knives.