Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default another segmented bowl effort

Wood Explorer often one word is the software I used to verify.

The color matches closely and here is a massive amount.

I suggest to all to search for the software and buy some - low cost.
Very useful. I don't think I'm cheating them by pasting this as
I promote and approve of their software tool.

The second word worked! jigue

Scientific Name
Lysiloma latisliqua

Trade Name
Boid de sabicu

Family Name
Leguminosae

Synonyms
Lysiloma sabicu

Common Names
Boid de sabicu
Cuban sabicu
Frijolillo
Horseflesh
Horseflesh mahogany
Jigue ====
Jigue blanco
Moruro
Sabicu
Sabicuholz
Salom
Savacu
Savico
Tabernau
Tzalam
Wild tamarind
Xiamxek
Xiaxek

Regions of Distribution
North America
Oceania and S.E. Asia

Countries of Distribution
Bahamas
Cuba
Haiti
United States

Common Uses
Boat building (general)
Cabinetmaking
Furniture
Heavy construction
Joinery
Light construction
Railroad ties
Shade rollers
Wheel spokes
Wheels

Distribution Overview
Chiefly a Mexican genus with extensions into Central America,
southernmost parts of the United States, and the Greater Antilles.

Heartwood Color
** Yellow to golden-yellow to orange
** Brown
* Reddish brown
* Pale brown

Sapwood Color
* Different than heartwood

Grain
********* Figure
*** Other (figure)
*** Straight
*** Distinct (figure)
** Even
* Mottle
* Interlocked

*** Straight
*** Other figure
*** Distinct figure
* Mottled or streaked figure sometimes
* Interlocked

Texture
*** Medium
*** Fine

******* Medium
* Fine to medium

Luster
********* Lustrous

Natural Durability
**** Very durable
**** Durable
* Susceptible to attack from powder post (Lyctid & Bostrychid)
beetles

Toxicity
* Unspecified toxicity

Kiln Schedules
*** Dry at a slow speed

Drying Defects
*** Splitting
*** Checking

* No end splitting

Ease of Drying
*** Moderately Difficult to Difficult

Tree Size
* Sapwood width is 5-10 cm
* Tree height is 0-10 m

Comments
General finishing qualities are rated as good

General finishing qualities are rated as satisfactory

Blunting Effect
*** High to severe

Boring
*** Fairly difficult to very difficult

Cutting Resistance
*** Fairly Difficult to Very Difficult to saw

Movement in Service
* Stable

Planing
*** Fairly Easy to Very Easy
** Very Good to Excellent Results
* Fair to Good Results

Resistance to Impregnation
*** Resistant heartwood
** Resistant sapwood

* Heartwood is resistant

Response to Hand Tools
******* Easy to machine

Polishing
*** Fair to Good Results

**** Satisfactory results
* Good results

Strength Properties
*** Density (dry weight) = 46-52 lbs/cu. ft.
* Density (dry weight) = 61 - 67 lbs/cu. ft.

Numerical Data
Item Green Dry English

Density 51 lbs/ft3

Weight 50 40 lbs/ft3

Item Green Dry Metric

Density 817 kg/m3

Weight 801 641 kg/m3

Best Regards,
Martin

On 10/29/2010 11:25 AM, tom koehler wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:51:00 -0500, tom koehler wrote
(in iernet.net):

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:29:45 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote
(in ):

Tom - look at the picture carefully - there is a faint pencil
text on it - looks like "Japan" or is that the Yaupon wood (Holly).

I turned a holly off my place in California - but it was white wood and
fibrous. It made great cups and holders. I made several desk sets
when the power company cut down a tree on my place that was 8" easy.

Martin

there is just one picture with some pencil text on it. The wood is brown
with
a figured grain. The pencil text says "jiquin" (my reading) or more likely
"jiquin" as suggested by another reader here. Jiquin is a colloquial name
for
a hardwood from Cuba, entirely likely as this wood was obtained by my Dad
about 60 years ago. Looking at the next frame, nearly black, when blown up
it
is possible to see the penciled text in higher conttrast. Thank you for your
comments, Mr. Eastburn.

Respectfully,

tom koehler

gotta correct my own self... "jiquin" was my reading of the penciled text,
"jigue" was the suggested and very likely correct reading of the penciled
text, a colloquial name for a Cuban hardwood.
tom koehler, who often confuses himself