Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default another segmented bowl effort

I decided I had to make another try at a segmented bowl. This time I decided
on 5 segments in a layer. It was a nice even number of degrees for the miter
joints, and was not too difficult. I used a home made band clamping expedient
for this late night glue job, not wanting to wait to make a trip to the
hardwarte store for suitable screw-type band clamps. The expedient worked but
could have been much better. I will now hie me to the hardware store for
suitable clamps, per methods already mentioned in this venue.

The bowl is four layers and a fifth diagonal layer inserted into the block.

I used the method described here for holding layers in place for gluing, but
employed hot glue instead of super glue. I also hot-glued 2 cut-off pieces of
wood to the holly base for slicing the glued-up block at an angle in the
bandsaw.

The pictures show all, I think.

tom koehler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55616gandy/
--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/27/2010 01:47 PM, tom koehler wrote:
[...]

I like the diagonal section. Adds an interesting twist to the work. Do
you have a top for it? Or shots of the interior? The bottom looks great.

Have you seen this?

http://woodtube.ning.com/video/the-h...mail=404085185

(watch the line wrap) You could do something similar on a larger scale
which might be pretty neat.

That's quite a mongo glue press you have! Wish I had one of those. No
excuses - wanted one for ages but just too lazy to build it. Ha.

I should also get a hot glue gun - Seems like I'd probably glue my
fingers together a lot less if I did! :-) My wife glued her's together
once and it was a riot seeing her hop around the shop trying to get them
unstuck. Oddly she failed to see the humor. Go figure.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:07:52 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote
(in message ):

Nice bowl - is the unknown wood Teak - does it have Japan on the face ?

Martin

oh, golly, I don't know what it is, that's why it is unknown. The wood
samples dad had were sometimes labeled, sometimes not. This one was not
labeled. It looks nice and has nice results on thelathe. When it is gone, it
is gone. Maybe I will save a small piece and put some kind of finish on it
for future reference.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:21:26 -0500, Kevin Miller wrote
(in message ):

I like the diagonal section. Adds an interesting twist to the work. Do
you have a top for it? Or shots of the interior? The bottom looks great.

Thank you. I did not make a lid for this thing. We had some out of town
company for a couple of days, and I'd only just finished gluing up the block
and not time to make the kind of lid I wanted. The visitor was very happy
with the vessel with no lid. I do like making lids for them, though and will
try doing more of them. I do have one shot looking straight down into the
vessel - looks much like the outside, just a white circle with a colored bar
across it.

Have you seen this?

http://woodtube.ning.com/video/the-h...m17.409772&esr
c=nwwood&email=404085185

did not see it before, but looked at it now. Great video and the youngster in
it has talent. Great shop he is in, likely some influence on him from his
family. Good for him! He has obviously had some good teaching. I really like
the method, and will certainly give it a go! Thanks for the link.

(watch the line wrap) You could do something similar on a larger scale
which might be pretty neat.

I am going to.

That's quite a mongo glue press you have! Wish I had one of those. No
excuses - wanted one for ages but just too lazy to build it. Ha.

I have had this press for beaucoup years. I like it fine, and it was simple
and cheap to make - and very useful.

I should also get a hot glue gun - Seems like I'd probably glue my
fingers together a lot less if I did! :-) My wife glued her's together
once and it was a riot seeing her hop around the shop trying to get them
unstuck. Oddly she failed to see the humor. Go figure.

yeah, I can imagine. heh. I use superglue for closing up small cuts and
protecting blisters. I like my hot glue gun... it is a cheapie with no moving
parts, I just gotta push the glue stick through with my thumb. Is good enough
for me.

tom koehler

...Kevin

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom - look at the picture carefully - there is a faint pencil
text on it - looks like "Japan" or is that the Yaupon wood (Holly).

I turned a holly off my place in California - but it was white wood and
fibrous. It made great cups and holders. I made several desk sets
when the power company cut down a tree on my place that was 8" easy.

Martin

On 10/27/2010 10:47 PM, tom koehler wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:07:52 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote
(in ):

Nice bowl - is the unknown wood Teak - does it have Japan on the face ?

Martin

oh, golly, I don't know what it is, that's why it is unknown. The wood
samples dad had were sometimes labeled, sometimes not. This one was not
labeled. It looks nice and has nice results on thelathe. When it is gone, it
is gone. Maybe I will save a small piece and put some kind of finish on it
for future reference.
tom koehler

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:29:45 -0500, Martin Eastburn wrote
(in message ):

Tom - look at the picture carefully - there is a faint pencil
text on it - looks like "Japan" or is that the Yaupon wood (Holly).

I turned a holly off my place in California - but it was white wood and
fibrous. It made great cups and holders. I made several desk sets
when the power company cut down a tree on my place that was 8" easy.

Martin

there is just one picture with some pencil text on it. The wood is brown with
a figured grain. The pencil text says "jiquin" (my reading) or more likely
"jiquin" as suggested by another reader here. Jiquin is a colloquial name for
a hardwood from Cuba, entirely likely as this wood was obtained by my Dad
about 60 years ago. Looking at the next frame, nearly black, when blown up it
is possible to see the penciled text in higher conttrast. Thank you for your
comments, Mr. Eastburn.

Respectfully,

tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:51:00 -0500, tom koehler wrote
(in message . net):

[...]

gotta correct my own self... "jiquin" was my reading of the penciled text,
"jigue" was the suggested and very likely correct reading of the penciled
text, a colloquial name for a Cuban hardwood.
tom koehler, who often confuses himself

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Wood Explorer often one word is the software I used to verify.

The color matches closely and here is a massive amount.

I suggest to all to search for the software and buy some - low cost.
Very useful. I don't think I'm cheating them by pasting this as
I promote and approve of their software tool.

The second word worked! jigue

Scientific Name
Lysiloma latisliqua

Trade Name
Boid de sabicu

Family Name
Leguminosae

Synonyms
Lysiloma sabicu

Common Names
Boid de sabicu
Cuban sabicu
Frijolillo
Horseflesh
Horseflesh mahogany
Jigue ====
Jigue blanco
Moruro
Sabicu
Sabicuholz
Salom
Savacu
Savico
Tabernau
Tzalam
Wild tamarind
Xiamxek
Xiaxek

Regions of Distribution
North America
Oceania and S.E. Asia

Countries of Distribution
Bahamas
Cuba
Haiti
United States

Common Uses
Boat building (general)
Cabinetmaking
Furniture
Heavy construction
Joinery
Light construction
Railroad ties
Shade rollers
Wheel spokes
Wheels

Distribution Overview
Chiefly a Mexican genus with extensions into Central America,
southernmost parts of the United States, and the Greater Antilles.

Heartwood Color
** Yellow to golden-yellow to orange
** Brown
* Reddish brown
* Pale brown

Sapwood Color
* Different than heartwood

Grain
********* Figure
*** Other (figure)
*** Straight
*** Distinct (figure)
** Even
* Mottle
* Interlocked

*** Straight
*** Other figure
*** Distinct figure
* Mottled or streaked figure sometimes
* Interlocked

Texture
*** Medium
*** Fine

******* Medium
* Fine to medium

Luster
********* Lustrous

Natural Durability
**** Very durable
**** Durable
* Susceptible to attack from powder post (Lyctid & Bostrychid)
beetles

Toxicity
* Unspecified toxicity

Kiln Schedules
*** Dry at a slow speed

Drying Defects
*** Splitting
*** Checking

* No end splitting

Ease of Drying
*** Moderately Difficult to Difficult

Tree Size
* Sapwood width is 5-10 cm
* Tree height is 0-10 m

Comments
General finishing qualities are rated as good

General finishing qualities are rated as satisfactory

Blunting Effect
*** High to severe

Boring
*** Fairly difficult to very difficult

Cutting Resistance
*** Fairly Difficult to Very Difficult to saw

Movement in Service
* Stable

Planing
*** Fairly Easy to Very Easy
** Very Good to Excellent Results
* Fair to Good Results

Resistance to Impregnation
*** Resistant heartwood
** Resistant sapwood

* Heartwood is resistant

Response to Hand Tools
******* Easy to machine

Polishing
*** Fair to Good Results

**** Satisfactory results
* Good results

Strength Properties
*** Density (dry weight) = 46-52 lbs/cu. ft.
* Density (dry weight) = 61 - 67 lbs/cu. ft.

Numerical Data
Item Green Dry English

Density 51 lbs/ft3

Weight 50 40 lbs/ft3

Item Green Dry Metric

Density 817 kg/m3

Weight 801 641 kg/m3

Best Regards,
Martin

On 10/29/2010 11:25 AM, tom koehler wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:51:00 -0500, tom koehler wrote
(in iernet.net):