Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom[_37_] Tom[_37_] is offline

Default Rare earth magnetic knife holders

?Why not route the holes on the back side of the oak strip, but only going
part-way through. That'd leave an umblemished oak face. Another similar
suggestion would be to inlay a different colored wood "spot" centered on
each magnet. The magnet would be inlayed from the back and the spot from
the front, leaving only wood showing.

Karl

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Oct 29, 1:42 am, "Steve B" wrote:
I want to take a strip of oak and rout holes in it for quarter sized rare
earth magnets to stick my knives to rather than having them in a drawer,
which I think is unsafe.

What is a good glue to use to hold these magnets in there? If they fall
out, no biggie to re-glue.

But I'm a do it once kind of guy.

Steve

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some
metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause
rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them
or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a
good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

Robert

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble endorsing: storing knives in slotted blocks (especially wood)
can put them in a great bacterial reservoir. Of course, if you
scrupulously
dry, chemically disinfect or autoclave your knives and maintain a
block in
germicidal condition, you're all good.

Aside, when Carl Linnaeus first grouped bacteria and viruses, he put
them under the taxonomic heading "Chaos".

Regards,

EH