Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_2_] Gib Bogle[_2_] is offline

Default Getting hot water from shower to actually be hot

On 28/10/2010 6:09 p.m., John Rumm wrote:

Maybe it's just an issue of nomenclature. We have "hot water on demand"
systems here, usually gas. This is basically the same as what used to be
called a califont (perhaps that's a brand name). Water flowing through
triggers gas flames. We replaced the cylinder in our previous house with
one of these. It worked well enough.

Assuming it does just hot water (i.e. not heating as well) its what would
usually be called a "multipoint" water heater here. There were popular a while
back, but combination (aka "combi") boilers that can run the heating and do hot
water on demand have largely replaced them in popularity.

Ah! They may exist down south, but I've never heard of such a thing up here in
the winterless north. No boilers here (in houses) as far as I know.