Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Rare earth magnetic knife holders

wrote in message
On Oct 29, 1:42 am, "Steve B" wrote:
I want to take a strip of oak and rout holes in it for quarter sized
rare
earth magnets to stick my knives to rather than having them in a
drawer,
which I think is unsafe.

What is a good glue to use to hold these magnets in there? If they
fall
out, no biggie to re-glue.

But I'm a do it once kind of guy.

Steve

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some
metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause
rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them
or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a
good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

Robert

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no
trouble endorsing: storing knives in slotted blocks (especially wood)
can put them in a great bacterial reservoir. Of course, if you
scrupulously
dry, chemically disinfect or autoclave your knives and maintain a
block in
germicidal condition, you're all good.

Aside, when Carl Linnaeus first grouped bacteria and viruses, he put
them under the taxonomic heading "Chaos".

Regards,

EH