Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Easy HVLP water-based spraying of lacquer or poly

On 10/29/2010 1:36 PM, blueman wrote:
Awesome post! Thanks! (please see my follow-up inserted below)
writes:
Here's the content of an old post of mine on spraying shellac
... don't have time to find the responses, but you can DAGS if you
need mo
I find I have better application on extremely high humidity days with
isopropyl alcohol, but the Borg denatured works fine 99% of the time.

By denatured, I assume you mean the methanol sold in cans at the borg.

It's been 40 plus years, but ...

Don't know about "sold as" labeling, but I am a chem major and IIRC
they are similar but different alochols.

"Denatured alcohol", as I recollect, is "ethanol" (C2H5OH), with
"methanol" (CH3OH) added to make it poisonous.

Any paint section should have cans clearly labeled "Denatured Alcohol".

That is what I use to cut shellac with for most spraying purposes.

And by isopropyl, do you need to find 100% pure stuff or can one use the
drug store diluted stuff.

I buy 99% isopropyl alcohol from the drug store.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010