Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Easy HVLP water-based spraying of lacquer or poly

On 10/29/2010 11:59 AM, blueman wrote:
writes:

On 10/28/2010 12:43 PM, blueman wrote:
I am a newbie to HVLP and am looking for advice for an "easy" newbie
finish that meets as many of the following criteria as possible:

1. Strong/durable clear coat
2. Easy to set up& apply
3. Forgiving to newbies with low-end equipment
4. Easy to clean-up
(of course fast drying would also be nice)

3.5 out of 4:

Shellac ...

And is the 0.5 deduction for strength/durable?

I didn't realize though that Shellac was sprayable.
If it is, does it matter what type (waxed or not)?
Premixed in the MinWax type or cut to a custom proportion from Shellac
flakes?

Here's the content of an old post of mine on spraying shellac ... don't
have time to find the responses, but you can DAGS if you need mo

start
Shellac is about the only finish I use, and I always spray it.

With an HVLP system overspray is not a problem, IME.

If you are not planning on using anything but shellac, buy the three
pound cut and thin it down to 1 1/2 with alcohol (I prefer to use this
cut when spraying, but YMMV) ... experiment.

3 pound cut is what you get out of the can for the standard, althouugh
I've seen 4 and 5 pound cut at paint stores, and the "sanding sealer",
out of the can should be a 2 pound cut.

You really don't need the dewaxed if shellac is all you're using ... the
dewaxed being essential for compatibility with lacquer, poly and other
top coat finishes added post shellac application.

The Zinnser sealer is dewaxed and works well when sprayed and can indeed
be used as the finish coat.

I just generally use the regular BullsEye amber 3 pound cut, thinned to
a 1 1/2 pound cut with isopropyl alcohol (depending upon the
temp/humidity) sprayed on for the final coat.

I find I have better application on extremely high humidity days with
isopropyl alcohol, but the Borg denatured works fine 99% of the time.

IME, with humidity, what you're worrying about is blush.

With isopropyl alcohol so cutting you need to pay particular attention
to the shellac drying before it hits the surface. If that is a problem,
simply cut your material flow down a bit and spray closer to the work
(with HVLP).

Spraying shellac is not that difficult, as a matter of fact, it is easy
and forgiving with an off the shelf, $100 HVLP unit. A couple of minutes
with a scrap piece to make sure material flow and distance is right, and
spray on.

end quote

--
www.e-woodshop.net