Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rare earth magnetic knife holders

In article , says...

"Steve B" wrote in message
I want to take a strip of oak and rout holes in it for quarter sized rare
earth magnets to stick my knives to rather than having them in a drawer,
which I think is unsafe.

What is a good glue to use to hold these magnets in there? If they fall
out, no biggie to re-glue.

But I'm a do it once kind of guy.

Steve

Steve,

I haven't seen anyone else mention this so either I'm the first or I'm
stoopid... But won't the blade pick up magnetism eventually? That's not
such a good thing to me but may be a useless or harmless trait otherwise.

I just envision sharpening the blade and knowing that there are small pieces
of shaved-off steel all over the magnetic blade ready to jump into my food.

Depends on the alloy. Some are magnetizable, some are magnetic but not
magnetizable, some are nonmagnetic.

In any case steel in the particle sizes typical of sharpening is just a
mineral supplement.