Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rare earth magnetic knife holders

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:42:51 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to take a strip of oak and rout holes in it for quarter sized rare
earth magnets to stick my knives to rather than having them in a drawer,
which I think is unsafe.

When you magnetize knives, they pick up small slivers of metal from
wherever they rest, so you get extra shards in your food. Yummy!

Make an angled wooden rack and store the knives with the blade UP.
It protects the blade and keeps it from dulling against the rack, and
is safer than drawer storage.

I drilled a couple holes and store my fillet knife in its plastic
sheath mounted underneath the upper cabinet. You could do something
like that with knife racks, too.

These are damned cool, though. http://picsdigger.com/image/8e60323a/

I have one of these: http://picsdigger.com/image/4e579304/

But you could build one of these for your drawer:
http://picsdigger.com/image/33f9553c/

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.