Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] l-lopez@uiuc.edu is offline

Default Easy HVLP water-based spraying of lacquer or poly

On Oct 28, 12:43*pm, blueman wrote:
I am a newbie to HVLP and am looking for advice for an "easy" newbie
finish that meets as many of the following criteria as possible:

1. Strong/durable clear coat
2. Easy to set up & apply
3. Forgiving to newbies with low-end equipment
4. Easy to clean-up
(of course fast drying would also be nice)

I am applying to a raw birch plywood shelving system.

I been told that it is best for beginners to start with water-based
since solvent-based lacquer & poly are more complicated in terms of
cleanup and proper ventillation.

However, I have no idea what brands and specific finishes best fit my
"wish list". Perhaps I am asking for the impossible.
But it would be nice to build my confidence in spraying by having some
good first results.

I really want something that will not give me to too much trouble as a
beginner whether it is worrying about getting viscosity right, worrying
too much about sags or drips, fume issues, and cleanup.

Thanks!

Spraying water borne stuff (lacquer or paint) is not as easy to spray
as the solvent based finishes. It takes better equipment to do the
job. It has been said that a 3 stage Fuji gun will work. However, you
still need to thin the products to make it work. Too much water can
affect the quality of the finish. For example, enamels don't always
have that low lustre sheen when thinned too much. I bought a Fuji 4
stage gun (expensive) and can spray heavy paints with a #4 cap and
minor thinning.

For products, I find that Hydrocote resistane plus (pre cat lacquer)
sprays well and does not need too much thinning.
For paint, I am currently spraying Benjamin Moore Impervo. BJ says it
can be sprayed without thinning - if you use
an airless sprayer. They give a crappy finish! The Fuji 4 stage
seems to work well with the #4 cap. You do need
some thinning and need to put it on lightly. Make multiple passes.

Good luck

Len