Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Easy HVLP water-based spraying of lacquer or poly

I am a newbie to HVLP and am looking for advice for an "easy" newbie
finish that meets as many of the following criteria as possible:

1. Strong/durable clear coat
2. Easy to set up & apply
3. Forgiving to newbies with low-end equipment
4. Easy to clean-up
(of course fast drying would also be nice)

I am applying to a raw birch plywood shelving system.

I been told that it is best for beginners to start with water-based
since solvent-based lacquer & poly are more complicated in terms of
cleanup and proper ventillation.

However, I have no idea what brands and specific finishes best fit my
"wish list". Perhaps I am asking for the impossible.
But it would be nice to build my confidence in spraying by having some
good first results.

I really want something that will not give me to too much trouble as a
beginner whether it is worrying about getting viscosity right, worrying
too much about sags or drips, fume issues, and cleanup.

Thanks!