Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default end cutting pliers / pincers

"TMC" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
Please can someone tell me whether end cutting pliers and pincers are
two names for the same thing or whether they are two different tools?

I had been struggling to remove some nails with pliers when a
neighbour let me borrow his pincers. The nails came out in no time at
all. I'm surprised at this because both pincers and pliers grab the
sides of the nail; what's so magical about pincers that they work so
much better?

I thought I would get myself some pincers but I see items described as
end cutting pliers that look identical. Are they really identical? I'm
wondering whether perhaps the cutting pliers have a sharp edge to cut,
whereas perhaps the pincers have a blunt edge. Otherwise wouldn't they
cut the nail in situ rather than pull it out?

Not a dig at the Op by any means but I remember when such things were
taught in schools ....to everyone at the school

I recall being shown how to change a tap washer, a fuse and a plug.