Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default another segmented bowl effort

On 10/27/2010 01:47 PM, tom koehler wrote:
I decided I had to make another try at a segmented bowl. This time I decided
on 5 segments in a layer. It was a nice even number of degrees for the miter
joints, and was not too difficult. I used a home made band clamping expedient
for this late night glue job, not wanting to wait to make a trip to the
hardwarte store for suitable screw-type band clamps. The expedient worked but
could have been much better. I will now hie me to the hardware store for
suitable clamps, per methods already mentioned in this venue.

The bowl is four layers and a fifth diagonal layer inserted into the block.

I used the method described here for holding layers in place for gluing, but
employed hot glue instead of super glue. I also hot-glued 2 cut-off pieces of
wood to the holly base for slicing the glued-up block at an angle in the
bandsaw.

The pictures show all, I think.

tom koehler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55616gandy/

I like the diagonal section. Adds an interesting twist to the work. Do
you have a top for it? Or shots of the interior? The bottom looks great.

Have you seen this?

http://woodtube.ning.com/video/the-h...mail=404085185

(watch the line wrap) You could do something similar on a larger scale
which might be pretty neat.

That's quite a mongo glue press you have! Wish I had one of those. No
excuses - wanted one for ages but just too lazy to build it. Ha.

I should also get a hot glue gun - Seems like I'd probably glue my
fingers together a lot less if I did! :-) My wife glued her's together
once and it was a riot seeing her hop around the shop trying to get them
unstuck. Oddly she failed to see the humor. Go figure.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska