Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default another segmented bowl effort

Nice bowl - is the unknown wood Teak - does it have Japan on the face ?

Martin

On 10/27/2010 4:47 PM, tom koehler wrote:
I decided I had to make another try at a segmented bowl. This time I decided
on 5 segments in a layer. It was a nice even number of degrees for the miter
joints, and was not too difficult. I used a home made band clamping expedient
for this late night glue job, not wanting to wait to make a trip to the
hardwarte store for suitable screw-type band clamps. The expedient worked but
could have been much better. I will now hie me to the hardware store for
suitable clamps, per methods already mentioned in this venue.

The bowl is four layers and a fifth diagonal layer inserted into the block.

I used the method described here for holding layers in place for gluing, but
employed hot glue instead of super glue. I also hot-glued 2 cut-off pieces of
wood to the holly base for slicing the glued-up block at an angle in the
bandsaw.

The pictures show all, I think.

tom koehler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55616gandy/