Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_2_] Gib Bogle[_2_] is offline

Default Getting hot water from shower to actually be hot

On 28/10/2010 4:12 a.m., funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 27/10/10 03:26, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 27/10/2010 1:01 p.m., jgharston wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
I don't follow you, sweetheart. We had low pressure at all the hot taps, good
pressure on the cold. After adjustment of the diaphragm thingie on the hw
cylinder inlet, we now have good pressure on all hot taps. OK darling?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly sweetie, I *don't* have a hot water cylinder, hot
water is supplied on demand by being heated as the cold
water flows through the boiler. If it flows flowly enough to
be heated to a useful temparture, it's flowing too slowly
for a decent shower. If it's flowing fast enough for a decent
shower, it's flowing through the boiler too fast for it to be
heated up, escpecially now that the cold supply arrives
at 8 degrees since the snow stared. This is why I hate
non-stored hot water systems.

JGH

That's the first time I've heard of a 'combi' system. Sometimes posting to
uk.d-i-y from NZ does make a difference.

Maybe NZ isn't as advanced as AUS then because I've seen them there too.

Maybe it's just an issue of nomenclature. We have "hot water on demand" systems
here, usually gas. This is basically the same as what used to be called a
califont (perhaps that's a brand name). Water flowing through triggers gas
flames. We replaced the cylinder in our previous house with one of these. It
worked well enough.