Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default My week

On 10/27/2010 12:49 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

The ultimate demonization of a tool would be the radial arm saw. I grew
up around them and used them for many years without any kind of problem.
But many folks, who don't understand that spinning saw blades are
inherently dangerous, cut off portions of their anatomy with them.
Therefore, these saws are "bad". Or at least, politically incorrect.

I used a RAS almost exclusively as the 'goto' tool to build a couple of
recording studios years ago. Have always have had a healthy respect for
the tool, and got excellent results using it. (I don't think there was
such a thing as a SCMS in those days)

That said, the pucker factor still goes up to this day when I see/got to
use a RAS, which is probably a good thing.

That said, a router with a big bit, or an angle or taper cut on the
table saw can flex the sphincter just as easily as the RAS for me.

Now we see another process at work. A super critical perspective of
tools "that cost too much". But cost is relative. The folks who buy many
tools are using them for their business. If the tool isn't doing its
job, you would hear about it.

Quality is expensive upfront, cheap over the useful life of the tool.

I may lust after tools I can't afford. But I am not going to whine about
the tools because it is not in my price range. Nor am I going to whine
about it if I can not justify the expense of the tool based on my
current or future use of such a tool. If these tools did not perform a
useful function, they would cease to be a viable product to manufacture
and distribute.

Nuff said, end of rant.

Good rant ... I buy whatever it makes business sense to buy to do the
best job possible in the most efficient manner, and always try to build
a purchase into the price of a job, or two.

When the pleasure from using a tool coincides with a legitimate business
justification to purchase it, it feels good on all counts, including the
fact that you're doing something right.

That counts for all "tools", from hand to software.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010