Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default My week

"Swingman" wrote

What is indeed a "given" is that these tools are not for everyone.

Then there is the "given" that some people should never operate power tools
under any circumstances.

From there, I suppose, there is a continuum of comfort level for each kind
of tool. And there is a whole lot of hysteria and emotion concerning
different types and classes of tools.

The ultimate demonization of a tool would be the radial arm saw. I grew up
around them and used them for many years without any kind of problem. But
many folks, who don't understand that spinning saw blades are inherently
dangerous, cut off portions of their anatomy with them. Therefore, these
saws are "bad". Or at least, politically incorrect.

Now we see another process at work. A super critical perspective of tools
"that cost too much". But cost is relative. The folks who buy many tools
are using them for their business. If the tool isn't doing its job, you
would hear about it.

I may lust after tools I can't afford. But I am not going to whine about the
tools because it is not in my price range. Nor am I going to whine about it
if I can not justify the expense of the tool based on my current or future
use of such a tool. If these tools did not perform a useful function, they
would cease to be a viable product to manufacture and distribute.

Nuff said, end of rant.