Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ebooks of interest

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-10-25, Gerald Miller wrote:
On 25 Oct 2010 04:33:43 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Colored inks do fade -- especially red. And the inks commonly
used for handwriting do fade too -- unless you are using India ink.

[ ... ]

And then there is the output from thermal printers!

Well ... yes -- but who publishes (or published) books using
thermal printers? :-) Presumably the Kindle would mostly be used for
books which you purchase and download, not for self publication. :-)

Check out http://www.lulu.com for self publishing.

I didn't see anything which suggested that the print was done
with thermal printing. (Of course, I did not have Flash or JavaScript
enabled -- but would not unless I *needed* their services. :-) And if
they wanted to use thermal printing, I would look elsewhere. :-)

Well, Laser printing is a form of thermal printing. ;-)

Well ... sort of. It is using the heat to melt the toner which
has been electrostatically attracted to where the print should be.

My first experince with thermal printing was in Jr. High school in
the mid '60s. I used heat sensitive foils to apply the Dewy decimal
numbers to lots of library books, with a wood burning tool and the
foils.

It is not the same as the thermo-sensitive papers, such as were
used in the "Thermo-fax" copiers once made by 3M, and in some low-budget
or low energy computer/calculator printing systems -- such as the ribbon
printout on the Cannon 4-banger which was my first electronic
calculator. Yes, those would darken fully in a hot car -- or fade from
exposure to UV light. Vastly different from a laser printer (which is a
Xerox machine which is copying an image imagined by a computer, rather
than a real object.)

Or in some cases, it is a combo copier/laser printer. I still have
one of those thremal copiers, and a couple microfiche viewers. One of
them is a printer as well.

So -- this kind of publication is unlikely to fade with time --
though if stored in contact with plastic, it will partially transfer to
the plastic, as you may have seen in some three-ring binders. :-)

What? You never learned to put a blank page in the front and back of
a binder full of lser printed pages? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.