Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ebooks of interest

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-10-25, Gerald Miller wrote:
On 25 Oct 2010 04:33:43 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-10-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

However -- print still works, as long as you have light (and
know how to read, of course). :-)

And the ink hasn't faded.

Yes -- but since most print is carbon based, it will not fade.
The paper itself may disintegrate or darken enough to make reading more
difficult.

Colored inks do fade -- especially red. And the inks commonly
used for handwriting do fade too -- unless you are using India ink.

[ ... ]

And then there is the output from thermal printers!

Well ... yes -- but who publishes (or published) books using
thermal printers? :-) Presumably the Kindle would mostly be used for
books which you purchase and download, not for self publication. :-)

Check out http://www.lulu.com for self publishing.

I didn't see anything which suggested that the print was done
with thermal printing. (Of course, I did not have Flash or JavaScript
enabled -- but would not unless I *needed* their services. :-) And if
they wanted to use thermal printing, I would look elsewhere. :-)

Well, Laser printing is a form of thermal printing. ;-)

They do short print runs and print to order, with binding in
paperback or hardbck. Likely laser printing for book on demand orders.
You can design the cover, get an ISBN and lay out the content any way
you want.

There are a bunch of book on demand companies popping up these days,
but Lulu hass been around for a while. If there was enough interest, it
would be a good way to clean up scans of old machine tool manuals and do
limited run reprints.

enough left over to pay them.