Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default OT local authority rights of way enforcement officer on hisway...any tips?

On 25 Oct, 21:04, "Robin" wrote:
ITYM "Three Letter Abbreviation" - an acronym has to be pronounceable
as a word - hence the "nym" bit...

Sniff.

I had thought I might adopt the Humpty Dumpty defence [1].

But I think I shall proffer first the plain OED defence and cite the
definition of Acronym form the current online version:

"acronym

A word formed from the initial letters of other words. Hence as v.
trans., to convert into an acronym (chiefly pass. and as pa. pple.).
Also acronymic a.; acronymically adv.; acronyming vbl. n.; acronymize v.
trans."

Nowt there about pronounceability.

I know that some other sources (especially US sources) disagree but I am
sticking with the OED unless and until pointed to persuasive contrary
authority that an acronym has to be pronounceable[2][3]

[1] "When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,
`it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
[2] In English? Having spent a few days in Basque country in the early
70s what isn't pronounceable at large?
[3] This being uk.d-i-y I shall of course accept (a) "my dad/brother/me
is bigger than yours/you and will beat you up" or (b) "my angle grinder
is bigger than
yours" - especially if you know where I live
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

mmm -seems there amy be further pedantry afoot:-

http://www.examples-help.org.uk/acro...ions/index.htm

"Acronyms, Initials and Abbreviations - What is the Meaning and Origin
of the word Acronym?
The meaning of acromyn is 'A word formed from the initial letters of a
multi-word name'. What is the origin of the word? The word derives
from the Greek word 'acro' meaning 'tip, end' and the English word
'onym' meaning name e.g. NATO or RADAR

Acronyms, Initials and Abbreviations - What is the meaning of Initials
and Initialism?
Initials used as words are called initialism which is defined as an
abbreviation that consists of the initial letters of a series of
words, pronounced in sequence e.g. HTML.

Acronyms, Initials and Abbreviations - What is the Meaning of the word
Abbreviation?
The meaning of abbreviation is a shortened form of a written word or
phrase used in place of the whole e.g. APP for application."

So NATO, COBOL are acronyms?
TDA, ITN, BBC etc are initialisms?
but abbreviations are shortened form of *a* written word (not multiple
word phrases)?

Jim K