Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT local authority rights of way enforcement officer on his way...any tips?

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Oct 25, 2:16*pm, Jim K wrote:
On 25 Oct, 14:12, (A.Lee) wrote:

Jim K wrote:
mmmm just heard the RoW enforcement bod wants a meet re the track at
the rear of our houses :- overhanging trees, certain motor vehicle
"obstructions" that I "may be aware" of ....

Presume they are particularly budget constrained and especially
desperate to appear useful in these "public sector deep cuts" times?
Does it depend how they want to appear "useful" and to whom?

How much clout do they have? any gotchas/experiences?

They can ask you to cut back your trees/obstructions. If you continually
ignore them, they can do it themselves/get a Contractor in, and send you
the bill, which would be far larger than if you DIY.

what if the obstructions are intended to dissuade illegal motors' use
of the trackway?

No different, you are not allowed to take the law into your own hands.

Different areas may have different rules but here (Herts.) something
like a 5' 0" width restriction may be found acceptable on a public
bridleway. Travelling widths would normally be 2m for a crossfield route
and 3m for a field edge one.

The Rights of Way Officer is someone you need to befriend rather than
offend. He may be sympathetic to your perceived problem and able to
help.

Are you sure it is only a bridleway and not a byway open to all traffic?
BOATs can cross land in private ownership (I have one) the surface is
vested in the local highway authority.

regards

--
Tim Lamb