Joe Woody Woodpecker

Default What can you do with a lathe? You can't make spindles very fast

When you can make 4 stair spindles an hour that has bumps, knobs, tapers
and spirals an hour on your lathe, you are getting your worth from it.
However, you can make a 28 stair style set, identical on a legacy in one
day and sell them for $50 plus each. ($1400)

NoNameAtAll wrote:

...need to make any of those things. Actually making
a homemade baseball bat would be kind of neat
but it's tough to justify buying a lathe just for that.
If you can help me convince my wife (and myself
for that matter) of the usefulness of a lathe I'll be
eternally grateful.

Kiyu wrote

Can't do that. But......
I needed a bunch of handles for chisels I bought on ebay,
couldn't swing the price of a lathe so, as I had an old article on pole
lathes (bungee cord lathes) I just built my own. Making your own tools
is a really enjoyable experience.

It is tough standing on one leg and pumping the lathe with the other
but the whole operation was fun.....and inexpensive. I turned
out about 8 handles, had a lot of fun learning something of the
bodger's trade, and should I need to do any more turning, that is
the way I will do it (with some modifications this time of course
...and probably some more the next time).

If you are interested
just do a Google search on pole lathe for a lot of good links. And
someplace on my computer I have the articles scanned in if you
think you would like to try it.

Kiyu

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03