Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default OT local authority rights of way enforcement officer on his way...any tips?

"Jim K" wrote in message
mmmm just heard the RoW enforcement bod wants a meet re the track at
the rear of our houses :- overhanging trees, certain motor vehicle
"obstructions" that I "may be aware" of ....

Presume they are particularly budget constrained and especially
desperate to appear useful in these "public sector deep cuts" times?
Does it depend how they want to appear "useful" and to whom?

How much clout do they have? any gotchas/experiences?

ta
Jim K

I should wait and hear what the council has to say. In my experience they
are much keener on closing rights of way than opening them, and they may
even be sounding you out as an ally in trying to get the thing closed. Our
council are also chainsaw happy and even tried a similar ploy, ringing up
people along our road to ask them if they found the trees a nuisance.
Luckily the locals saw through the deception and told them to leave the
trees alone please! Some of your residents may be using the track for
access: others might be campaigning to have it shut down. On the other hand
it may be ramblers or horse riders who have complained of the conditions.
The 4Wheel Drive clubs are campaigning vigorously for access to all the old
'green lanes' - thereby making them unusable to anyone else: possibly your
RoW man wants to discuss putting restrictions on the use of this particular
lane. You will have to wait for the discussion and see.