Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ebooks of interest

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 02:24:20 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

On 2010-10-23, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

And give your DRM code in your last will and testiment...G

That can preserve the data -- but how long will there be
compatible eBook readers to use those formats? There is a lot of
computer media which can't be read which is less than 50 years old.

How many of you have the ability to read punched tape formats?
(Let's see -- the common ones are 5-level Baudot, and 8-level ASCII
punched tape (from Teletypes and the like), but there are also other bit
codes which used the 8-level punched tape, such as the Freiden
Flexowriter (Sort of an 8-bit version of EBCDIC, but with shift-up and
shift-down codes needed)

And how many people have the equipment to play 78 RPM records
these days? (Let alone Edison cylinder recordings?)

I have at least a dozen turntables that will play 78s.

[ ... ]

I still have some half height double sided 8" floppy drives that
don't need AC power, and some floppies.

However -- you and I are not typical. (BTW -- I didn't notice
you mentioning that you had the punched tape readers. :-)

It was in the warehouse I lost when I got sick. Along with a KIM
computer and a dozen 4004 processors. I think the last package of 80
column cards was there as well.

I think I still have the Heathkit paper tape punch/reader manual,
though.

However -- print still works, as long as you have light (and
know how to read, of course). :-)

And the ink hasn't faded.

Yes -- but since most print is carbon based, it will not fade.
The paper itself may disintegrate or darken enough to make reading more
difficult.

Colored inks do fade -- especially red. And the inks commonly
used for handwriting do fade too -- unless you are using India ink.

Some old dot matrix ink faded under flourescent lighting. Of course,
they are 25 yeasr old by now. I wrote a program for the Commodore 64 to
print a paper liner for parts drawers with four lines of text centered
in the front of the drawer to describe it's content. It printed two per
page with lines to cut them to fit, and others of where to fold them so
they were a neat ft in the drawers. I am going to have to resurect a
C64 or write a new version. I had a Windows based C64 emulator program,
but I don't know where it went.

Need a C64 and a couple drives?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)