Posted to uk.d-i-y
george [dicegeorge] george [dicegeorge] is offline

Default Roundup or What?

On 24/10/10 19:55, Lawrence wrote:
This summer I've been trying to get rid of nettles and thistles prior to
planting trees on my 1.5 acre field. I have been using "Roundup" which I
bought as a cheap end of line at a local garden centre (£2.99 for the
usual £10.99 bottles). I now need to stock up on some more or something
equally as good. It must be able to kill nettles and thistles but must
be able to be sprayed safely around trees without harming them. I know
there are some who doubt that roundup biodegrades but I am willing to
believe the manufacturer unless someone comes up with proof positive.
So now the question. In researching cheaper sources, I've come across
the problem that there are a number of different variants of roundup.
The CG form seems to have 120g/litre of glyphosate, the ultimate form
360g/litre and the brush and shrub(? has 480g/litre but is it that
simple? I've also read that you ought to add ammonium sulphate if you
are using hard(ish) water to dilute it!
If it is to be roundup, which form?
Where is the cheapest place to get it?
I see that Amazon has the CG at £14.06 per litre but I hear that
agricultural supplies firms sell it in 5 litre bottles.
Any advice appreciated.

Lawrence

a petrol lawnmower has turned my nettley garden back to grassland,
the nettles and leavy things give up after being mowed every week for
months,
The grass carries on growing.

I only use chemicals to get rid of the Japanese Knotweed.

[g]