Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Bosch 12" axial-glide miter saw.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:42:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:
[...snip....

I say, yes, it's better, if only to save the space behind the saw.

Even if it isn't rigid enough to maintain accurate angles?

I went looking for reviews. Here's one:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/review...e-12-miter-saw

And some snips:

The result? Unbelievably smooth travel and much better control
over your cuts. Bosch has made a precision machine that
is capable, in our opinion, as being labeled the first saw
that can consistently handle 1/32" accuracy every time.

Given the sealed
ball bearing construction, the other great thing is
that it won't degrade over time, and the robust nature
of the cast aluminum arms means that even at extreme
bevels the system retains its perfectly smooth action

Their dual purpose dust port adapts, right out of the box
to standard 1-1/4" (33 mm) vacuum hoses and offers up to
90% dust efficiency when cutting 2x material with an attached
vacuum. We tried it out and the reduction in dust was remarkable.

Upfront
Control system to eliminate the need to reach your arm behind the saw
to make bevel adjustments. All of the bevel lock lever and range
selector controls are located right in front and are all-metal
construction. Bosch also kept its easy-to-use Squarelock Quick-Release
fence system.

The saw comes with a full 3 horsepower (HP), 15 amp
motor and provides 3,800 rpm.

Bosch's GCM12SD Glide Miter Saw doesn't feature an integrated laser.

No laser? How can that be???

Anyway, sounds promising to me. Beyond my budget, but in the range of
other top end miter saws.