IMM

Default New Houses - any good?

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
John Laird wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:44:03 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John Laird" wrote in message
. ..
On 15 Jul 2003 09:39:58 -0700, (StealthUK) wrote:

The main thing I hate about new build is the light doors and walls
that just feel like you're living in a temporary house.

Depends on the builder again. Don't generalise. Once again it is like
coming in from outer space and judging all car like Ladas because that

was
the only one you ever went in.

I didn't say that. You could take a little more care in reading the
attributions correctly.

That and the 6'6" ceilings, or whatever the hell they are. If I can't
practise my golf swing indoors without removing chunks of plaster,

it's
not
a proper house in my book.

7.5 foot is the average. Installing flush downlighters makes the

ceiling
seem 2 foot taller. Put downlighters in the hall above the stairwell

and
the stairs appear cavernous.

With a standard door at 78" and a few inches of architrave, that must

put
the average new ceiling not much more than 6 inches from the door frame.

usually about 8 to 10 inches.

I suppose there are two issues with low ceilings. One is that it saves

measly amount by way of a couple of brick courses (or one breeze block)

and
a modicum of plaster, paint, wiring, plumbing, and the other is that by
shrinking the height it is possible to shrink the width to retain a
proportioned look. All a con, of course. Especially those builds where

the
downstairs ceilings look okay, but upstairs they have skimped on a

brick.

In many cases the Draconian planning system insisst that the house cannot be
above a certain height, so lower ceilings it is. Also the what diocates is
the stadard height of a 8x4 wallboard

You must be used to 10 foot ceiling with your golf swing. Who plays

golf in
the house????

There is a distinction between
practising a swing, and playing the game...

Do you practise rugby in the as well?

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).