Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Where Woudl Turning Be Today IF . . .

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:21:58 -0500, charlie b wrote
(in message ):

it had stopped at Round & Brown?

Preface: No intent to denigrate or in any way "dis" Round & Brown

But think of how narrow the field of possibilities would be without
- natural edge
- color
- inlay
- patinas
- pyrography
- surface texturing
- piercing
- carving
- segmented
- multi center
- eccentric
- the use of voids and inclusions
:
:
:

We live in interesting times - and turners keep coming up with
new areas to explore. If turning stops growing - will it die out,
or stop growing?

What say you?

I have to be optimistic. People come in such wide varieties of interest and
attitude, that at least some of them will continue to take up wood turning.
Some will re-discover at least some of the different varieties of turning,
and others will go where no turner has gone before.
With the continuing development of new tools or new variations on old tools,
and the introduction of new kinds of adhesives, glues, and finishes - and new
or different ways of using these things. Turning cannot help but continue to
grow and change. We also have new and different kinds of materials available
for turning, and many of these things also present opportunities for growth
and change in the art/craft/science of turning.
I earnestly think it is not possible for turning to stop growing and
changing.
Respectfully submitted,
tom koehler

--