Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Where Woudl Turning Be Today IF . . .

it had stopped at Round & Brown?

Preface: No intent to denigrate or in any way "dis" Round & Brown

But think of how narrow the field of possibilities would be without
- natural edge
- color
- inlay
- patinas
- pyrography
- surface texturing
- piercing
- carving
- segmented
- multi center
- eccentric
- the use of voids and inclusions
:
:
:

We live in interesting times - and turners keep coming up with
new areas to explore. If turning stops growing - will it die out,
or stop growing?

What say you?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:21:58 -0500, charlie b wrote
(in message ):

[...]

I have to be optimistic. People come in such wide varieties of interest and
attitude, that at least some of them will continue to take up wood turning.
Some will re-discover at least some of the different varieties of turning,
and others will go where no turner has gone before.
With the continuing development of new tools or new variations on old tools,
and the introduction of new kinds of adhesives, glues, and finishes - and new
or different ways of using these things. Turning cannot help but continue to
grow and change. We also have new and different kinds of materials available
for turning, and many of these things also present opportunities for growth
and change in the art/craft/science of turning.
I earnestly think it is not possible for turning to stop growing and
changing.
Respectfully submitted,
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b asks. "What say you?"

I say, thanks for asking, Charlie. I couldn't agree more with your
premise. Your list of "variations on a round & brown theme" as with all
your contributions to woodturning here and elsewhere goads us into
thinking beyond the R&B baseline along with you. Well, a little behind
you.

I say it's a good thing to push beyond the limits of our fixed
headstocks, in line spindles and hand held freely applied cutting tools.
True, the "standard" machines, tools and techniques in most of our shops
continue to offer tremendous opportunities for innovative art/craft and
are nowhere near the limit of their possibitities, but there was a time
of almost no face turning and spindles ruled, not that far removed from
the days of the bodgers. Woodturning must grow or it will shrivel.

Maybe there is no limit with using what we have in our shops today,
especially with the adaptions of readily available ancillary modes and
devices such as charlie's use of electo-mechanical aids to stretch the
limits. That said, I wonder if it's not time to consider making
equipment from other turning disciplines affordable additions to our
present armament. I mean cross slides, various automatic feeds, tilting
and thrusting headstocks, programmable chucks, ornamental devices etc.
etc. Why not? Probably cost.

If common in our shops they could/would/might refresh our hobby. ...or
just maybe I'm in my periodic "burn-out phase" and woodturning doesn't
need refreshing and traditionally as is will do very well without my
eccentric off center mechanical ideas.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message

[...]

Holtzapffel lathes are among the most complex mechanical contrivances on the
planet. Not counting the BC bronze "Laptop" found a few years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holtzapffel

And be sure to look at the references. Particularly:

http://holtzapffel.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:35:50 -0700, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Holtzapffel lathes are among the most complex mechanical contrivances on
the planet.

Possibly true, but a Linotype machine would give them a run for the
money. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linotype_machine

I'd heard a while back that Mergenthaler had a nervous breakdown after he
finished the design, but I can't find anything currently to confirm that.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:35:50 -0700, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Holtzapffel lathes are among the most complex mechanical contrivances on
the planet.

Possibly true, but a Linotype machine would give them a run for the
money. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linotype_machine

I'd heard a while back that Mergenthaler had a nervous breakdown after he
finished the design, but I can't find anything currently to confirm that.

The Wikipedia article on Babbage is worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbage#Difference_engine

And from there jump to the Jacquard loom.

The BC example I mentioned is he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

TODAY I GET TO GO TO No Name Home Repair 24 July 26th 09 09:51 AM
Easy Plug & Play System. Start Today - Profit Today! //www.online-jobs-4u.page.tl leena Home Ownership 1 August 26th 08 10:38 PM
OT; Today The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 May 4th 08 09:30 AM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
Re. Turning Today harryc Woodturning 0 January 28th 05 09:44 PM