Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default My week

On 10/21/2010 9:52 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I look for value. In most tools, ultimate performance isn't required.
I'm still casually eyeing Makita's SP6000K when noone's looking. Why
didn't Festool build in an anti-tilt lever for bevel cuts?

Anti-tilt lever?

From their flyer: http://fwd4.me/ige 1.8mb download

"Slide lever built into the saw base locks the saw to the guide
rail to help support the saw while making bevel cuts."

From what I've read only:

The Makita needs it because it is prone to kickbacks as it does not have
a riving knife; and I think the Makita might also cut a bit past 45
degrees (48?), which, both of these issues combined, would make it a
necessity, IMO.

Neither Festool saw needs the "anti-tilt lever" for bevel cuts. I've
done a few of these cuts in plywood and have no idea why one would be
remotely necessary.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010