Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default My week

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:21:50 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

I, too, can appreciate a good tool, but it rankles me to no end that
some toolmakers (Fein, Festool, and others) price theirs 2x to 20x
above the rest.

Other than greed, I cannot fathom why Fein would price a tool at $400
when a nearly identical one is imported and sold by HF for $30.
Granted, a tool utilizing a brand-new, good idea is worth more than an
everyday tool, but 12x. How does that saying go? "...and the horse
that rode in on them." or something.

Think Yugo vs. BMW

Both get you there but which is going to last and deliver the precision?

Additionally the HF tool has a regular price of $60 now and is on sale for
$40.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html

And The Fein Multimaster can be had for $209 shipped and equipped with
similar blades as the above tool.
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-MultiMast...7584793&sr=8-3

So instead of the example you show of the Fein being over 13 times more
expensive, it really is only 3 1/2 times more expensive with normal pricing.

I see your point, if you don't need a the features of a premium tool, get
the cheapo one. But if you don't have time to deal with a tool that may
waist your time the better quality is the better bet. Basically you get
what you pay for.