Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl[_2_] axolotl[_2_] is offline

Default designing an RFP for an entry-level loadout (crossposted to VirtualMachine Shop forums)

On 10/16/2010 3:11 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

(Dad mode)

The first step is to find out what questions to ask.

What do you anticipate building? From there you can determine what it
will take to get there. You are only concerned with machine tools. Does
that mean you already have the hand tools, workbenches and storage
cabinets? Is your school going to put in the power required to operate
the machines? Who is going to provide the training (safety and operation)?

I got an e-mail from Ed with some details. Doesn't sound like they have a lot of room and
it is upstairs. It also sounds like they need to spend the money quickly so I'm thinking
this is a what from the "insert your favorite supply souce" would you buy to get them set
up and running. Grizzly, ENCO, whatever model numbers.

###
On to other things: I visited Joe and the guys at Passaic County College.

They have to spend their money by next week -- it's $7,000, may be $10,000.
Maybe you can help out by asking for recommendations on the NG. They need a
mill, a lathe, a drillpress and a 4x6 bandsaw, and they have a very small
space, 2nd floor of a classroom building. Maybe a combination machine is the
trick. They don't have a lot of machining to do -- those robots are mostly
made from aluminum plate and extrusions. They're not into fighting robots.

Ten grand. Now the answer is easy. Tormach.

Kevin Gallimore