Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Finished teak segmented bowl

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:28:10 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
Nice!
You've got WAY more patience than I do...

Go figure - you have WAY more time than I do. Maybe we could arrange a
trade and meet in the middle? :-)

Actually these are fairly simple to do. Waiting for the glue to dry is
the worst part. I'm always amazed by some of the segmented forms I see
with 9 million little parts all glued up in some amazing patterns. Must
take a month or more to do. Incredible.

...Kevin

Yeah.. my oldest brother is a segmented turner.. he spends more time cutting
pieces on jigs that he's taken time to make than he does turning them..
Then there are the jigs for running the rings through the planer, etc..

He planes them? Didn't think that was possible. I bought one of those
Jet 10/20 sanding drums which works a treat for getting the rings flat.

So why isn't he posting his work?

I like to just put a chunk of wood on the lathe and make shavings..

There are many times that that is all I want to do as well. It can be
therapeutic. I was teaching a friend to turn the other day - he was
making guages (those massive earrings that the tatoo crowd wears these
days) and got so engrossed in the cutting that he totally forgot to stop
and measure! Just something about peeling wood off...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska