Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Finished teak segmented bowl

Here's the finished bowl. It was made with teak, sycamore, maple &
purpleheart. About 11 1/2" wide at the top. Finished with Minwax Tung
Oil Finish, which I'm not very impressed with. It doesn't seem to fully
dry - at least not after 24 hours. Usually I use Formby's Tung Oil
Finish when I want a wipe on finish but thought I'd experiment a bit.
That'll teach me!

More segmented turnings coming...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Finished teak segmented bowl-2010-10-12_17-52-04_1-jpg  Finished teak segmented bowl-2010-10-12_17-51-21_1-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
Here's the finished bowl. It was made with teak, sycamore, maple&
purpleheart. About 11 1/2" wide at the top. Finished with Minwax Tung
Oil Finish, which I'm not very impressed with. It doesn't seem to fully
dry - at least not after 24 hours. Usually I use Formby's Tung Oil
Finish when I want a wipe on finish but thought I'd experiment a bit.
That'll teach me!

More segmented turnings coming...

Beautiful. Have you tried Lee Valley's Polymerized Tung oil? It dries
in just a few hours. I often use the thinner (sealer) version to bring
out the color and grain, then the same day finish with wax-shellac.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A stitch in time would have confused
Einstein.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
Beautiful. Have you tried Lee Valley's Polymerized Tung oil? It dries
in just a few hours. I often use the thinner (sealer) version to
bring out the color and grain, then the same day finish with
wax-shellac.

Haven't tried that, but will keep it in mind. Trouble is, many places
won't ship finish to us up here. At least not by air. I'd probably
have to have it shipped surface which would take three weeks. But if
I'm not in a hurry that's no biggie. I just never seem to plan that far
ahead! Thanks for the pointer.

My shop is kind of cool so I'll give it a few days to dry and see how it
does. Probably just needs time.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nice!
You've got WAY more patience than I do...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Nice!
You've got WAY more patience than I do...

Go figure - you have WAY more time than I do. Maybe we could arrange a
trade and meet in the middle? :-)

Actually these are fairly simple to do. Waiting for the glue to dry is
the worst part. I'm always amazed by some of the segmented forms I see
with 9 million little parts all glued up in some amazing patterns. Must
take a month or more to do. Incredible.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:28:10 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

mac davis wrote:
Nice!
You've got WAY more patience than I do...

Go figure - you have WAY more time than I do. Maybe we could arrange a
trade and meet in the middle? :-)

Actually these are fairly simple to do. Waiting for the glue to dry is
the worst part. I'm always amazed by some of the segmented forms I see
with 9 million little parts all glued up in some amazing patterns. Must
take a month or more to do. Incredible.

...Kevin

Yeah.. my oldest brother is a segmented turner.. he spends more time cutting
pieces on jigs that he's taken time to make than he does turning them..
Then there are the jigs for running the rings through the planer, etc..

I like to just put a chunk of wood on the lathe and make shavings..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Nice!
You've got WAY more patience than I do...

Go figure - you have WAY more time than I do. Maybe we could arrange a
trade and meet in the middle? :-)

Actually these are fairly simple to do. Waiting for the glue to dry is
the worst part. I'm always amazed by some of the segmented forms I see
with 9 million little parts all glued up in some amazing patterns. Must
take a month or more to do. Incredible.

...Kevin

Yeah.. my oldest brother is a segmented turner.. he spends more time cutting
pieces on jigs that he's taken time to make than he does turning them..
Then there are the jigs for running the rings through the planer, etc..

He planes them? Didn't think that was possible. I bought one of those
Jet 10/20 sanding drums which works a treat for getting the rings flat.

So why isn't he posting his work?

I like to just put a chunk of wood on the lathe and make shavings..

There are many times that that is all I want to do as well. It can be
therapeutic. I was teaching a friend to turn the other day - he was
making guages (those massive earrings that the tatoo crowd wears these
days) and got so engrossed in the cutting that he totally forgot to stop
and measure! Just something about peeling wood off...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:35:10 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

He planes them? Didn't think that was possible. I bought one of those
Jet 10/20 sanding drums which works a treat for getting the rings flat.

Yeah.. as he explained it to me, after he glues a ring together, he fits it in a
sled and runs it through his planer..

So why isn't he posting his work?

He is, he just isn't into newsgroups.. check him out he
http://www.thesegmentedturner.com/

I like to just put a chunk of wood on the lathe and make shavings..

There are many times that that is all I want to do as well. It can be
therapeutic. I was teaching a friend to turn the other day - he was
making guages (those massive earrings that the tatoo crowd wears these
days) and got so engrossed in the cutting that he totally forgot to stop
and measure! Just something about peeling wood off...

...Kevin

That's exactly how I teach!
If they aren't willing to make nothing but shavings for at least their first 2
lessons, I don't want to spend time on them..