Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosin Nagant

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:48:28 +0700, J. D. Slocomb
wrote:

So how fast can each get 30 rounds downrange?

Isnt Aimed Fire the key to winning a battle? Or am I mistaken?

Probably not now and never has been.

The battle of Aquincourt, for example, where victory was attributed to
the English long bow, was primarily a matter of volley fire by massed
archers at long range.
During American Civil War (I believe the first example of rifled arms
used as primary weapons) at the Battle of First Bull Run it has been
estimated that between 8,000 and 10,000 rounds were fired for every
soldier killed or wounded.
In more modern times the Australians reporting on the Battle of
Longtan stated that the entire battle took place in an area
approximately the size of two football fields, an estimated 400,000
rounds of small arms ammunition (combined both sides) was expanded as
well as 3,500 rounds of artillery. The artillery fired nearly
continuously for 5 hours, equal to approximately 30 bullets per sq.
yd. and one shell per 4 sq. yd. over the entire battle field.
Total estimated casualties, killed and wounded, (Total both sides) was
1830. A minimum of 218 rounds of small arms ammunition expended per
casualty, assuming some causalities due to artillery fire.

Odd that our militaries have so much luck with small unit combat against
large numbers of enemy forces then, eh wot?

But then...they no longer stand in long lines and fire volleys at each
other.

Imagine that!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)