Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Califbill Califbill is offline

Default M1 garands and their clip Mosin Nagant

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:02:21 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Gunner Asch on Tue, 12 Oct 2010 01:05:08 -0700
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:23:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
It doesn't take long to put a full magazine into the 1911 if you
aren't worried about saving the empty magazine -- or are you talking
about the time needed to fill an empty magazine?

It is only recently that the Army has decided that issuing the
line troops side arms is a good thing. I believe the practice is what
is called a "New York Speed loader" - also known as "having another
gun". Even on a bad day, it's faster than trying to clear a jam, or
reload a fresh magazine.

On the other hand...it takes a finite amount of time to realize the
weapon in your hand is empty, and to draw the second one, and ready it
to fire.

Another benefit to the Garand. When that clip pops out there's no
question that it's time to reload.

True indeed. On the other hand...refilling the magazine with a couple
rounds is nearly impossible.

True, but the thinking seems to be, when the gun goes "click,
click, click", then reload, or if no reload, then go to the other gun.
Assuming you have an "other gun".

Colts and Garands don't go "click, click, click". They go click once
and then you can haul on the trigger with a hydraulic press and you
won't get another.

Very true.

What I got to practice a lot was clearing jams ... we suspect that
the magazine I had brought was bad, and did not play well with his
rifle. So I cleared jams or went to the back up - "the drill isn't
over till he's holding two". Sergeants can be so 'unreasonable' that
way, at times. B-)

And, we are talking about _my_ experience, with rifles I don't get
enough practice with to have all the motions in muscle memory.

A proper magazine change can be done in far far less than 1 second.

True, I'm sure.

Given my druthers, I'd rather have a belt fed gunny sergeant to
aim at my enemies. But I can't always get what I want.

tschus
pyotr

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

that is true, and they did reload magazines on the Garand. If you get an
old Garand with dimples on the stock, it was either in combat or used by a
combat veteran. they banged the clip against the stock to make sure all the
rounds were seated in the magazine.