Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosin Nagant

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:39:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

On 10/10/2010 11:40 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 10/9/2010 3:38 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

"Americans went to war with target rifles
Germans went war with hunting rifles
Brits went to war with battle rifles"

Russians went to war with tractors

Gunner

And the T34/76 was a really GOOD tractor!

However I do wonder what qualifies the Garand as less of a "battle
rifle" and more of a "target rifle" than the Lee-Enfield.

Aside from the rear sight being unnecessarily complicated, the Garand
couldn't take nearly as much combat abuse and keep firing.

You have actual examples of Enfields and Garands undergoing the same
"combat abuse" side by side and the Enfield working and the Garand not?

Several. Ill have to find the links for you.

If your ammo
supply came in belts or 5 round clips, as it might, you had a single
shot rifle.

One can make the same argument against the Enfield. The Garand doesn't
_need_ the clip, it's just more convenient to load it that way. In any
case, the clips are easily reloadable.

The Garand....without the clip...becomes a single shot.

Blink blink

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)