Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosin Nagant

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:29:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 11 Oct 2010 23:30:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-10-11, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:40:19 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

[ ... ]

However I do wonder what qualifies the Garand as less of a "battle
rifle" and more of a "target rifle" than the Lee-Enfield.

Because the Lee Enfield can be buried in mud, used to pry out a Bren
carrier and then used as a tent pole, and when needed, it will fire

The Garand...unfortunately...wont fire when treated that way. Least not
more than once.

Not seeing the quoted post, so responding here.

Do us a favor. Get a Lee Enfield. Fill the bore up with mud and bend
the barrel. Now shoot it. Get back to us when you get out of the
hospital.

Get a Garand. Repeat the test. Have your widow notify the group.

This means what exactly? Or are you desperately seeking something to be
right about?

Plus it holds 3 rounds less than the LE

So how fast can each get 30 rounds downrange?

Isnt Aimed Fire the key to winning a battle? Or am I mistaken?

And it tells the other side when its empty.

So what good does that do them? You are conflating an infantry battle
with home defense.

I tossed that one in as a laugher for those who actually do know the
Garand. G

I don't think that anything tells the other side that more than
a Luger. :-) (I guess that you could paint the toggle links day-glo
orange or something, but even without that, it is still pretty obvious,
even to the person you are pointing it at.

Is the Garrand empty status more visible to someone off to the
side? Does it perhaps drop the magazine automatically? (I've never had
one of those to play with -- just the 98 Mauser, and the SKS for long
guns.)

The Garand uses a clip, not a detachable magazine. You push the clip
with 8 rounds down into the top then close the bolt. When it's empty it
tosses the clip up in the air and makes a little noise. If you're in a
situation where you really think that that would be disastrous, you load
it without the clip (it doesn't _need_ the clip, it's just a fast way to
get 8 rounds into it).

This was addressed in the M-14 which uses a detachable box magazine.

Enjoy,
DoN.

He is talking about the rather distinctive "ting" the Garand makes
when it ejects the empty clip. This story has been going round and
round probably since the days that the Garand was accepted and makes
perfect sense - there you are in the middle of a fire fight - 50
people shooting guns, grenades exploding, machine guns blasting away
and you fire your last round and the rifle ejects the clip - Ting.

Immediately the enemy, hearing that noise, amid the sounds of battle,
and knowing that your rifle is empty leap to their feet and charge
your position as they now know that your weapon is empty.....

And, given that you can load 8 rounds into a Garand faster then you
can load 7 into a colt 1911 you can see that the enemy has a plenty of
time to come and get you.

Faster? Hardly.

Besides, the scream when it bites your thumb will be more evidence that
it's been empty than the ting from the clip ejecting

VBG

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)